Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Readers Letters #1

As you might have guessed, I get a lot of letters and emails from my fans. Most of them are not worth responding to, however occasionally, I will waive this rule, if I am bored or angry enough, or if the person is really, really nice. I will share my correspondence with you as often as I can.

Today's letter comes from my No. 1 Fan*

9th June 2008

Dear Harriet,
I nearly choked on my cornflakes this morning, reading about your imbroglio with Fathers 4 Justice. The ignominy!

I fully sympathise with your plight, it must be hard being Harriet Harman. I am so impressed by how in the last 3 months, you have single-handedly proved New Labour's commitment to this country's security. First of all, a thorough understanding of electronic security measures before the introduction of ID cards as aptly shown by your choice of such a secure password.
Secondly, you marvellously set a good example on the effective tackling of personal security issues, by wearing a stab vest in your own constituency. Finally yesterday, a clear demonstration of how well versed in anti-terrorism procedures our most important government officials must be, judging from the great difficulty, those 2 men in their costumes managed to climb onto your rooftop without rousing you from slumber! Presumably you left the front door open so they could get in without making too much noise...ingenious.

I do hope that you continue to grace the front page of my newspaper with your zeal and efforts. The Labour Party is lucky to have you.

I remain,
Yours Ever
Marina Ehrhart


So kind isn't she?


Dear Marina,
Thank you for your kind words. I do think you are being over-generous, at least one of those above incidents was regarded as a pretty monumental cock-up on my part, but if you didn't notice, then probably no one else did either, so shhhhh and tell no one!
It is nice to know that I have some fans out there and your emails are always appreciated. Please keep writing and let me know what initiatives and ideas you would like to see from me and the Department for Equalities and whatsits (I keep forgetting the name). Your suggestions are always welcome, especially as I have recently run out of new schemes to implement.

Best Wishes,

The Right Honourable, Harriet Harman QC MP
Leader of the House of Commons
Minister for Women
Minister for Equality
Deputy Leader of the Labour Party
Chairwoman of the Labour Party
Devoted Wife and Mother.


*I am judging from the frequency of her emails. To be honest, I can't tell if she's a real person or not. Best to err on the side of caution.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Harriet, you haven't posted for a while, but I know you've been busy preparing important new legislation. Now I've heard the bill you're announcing, I'm impressed.

This will really help reconnect the government with the white working class core vote, especially men. I hope you don't think I'm a flatterer, but you really are rather clever!

Anonymous said...

Just to nail the point home:

Heinz Peter Seraphim, Nazi “expert” on “Ostjuden”, talking in 1940:

“Through legislation and administrative measures, the Jews in the cities are to be replaced by non Jews to the degree in which qualified non-Jews are available for this substition… the Jew must yield wherever an equally qualifed non-Jew is available”.

(from Saul Friedlander’s The Years of Extermination)

and here’s the Guardian, yesterday, talking about Harriet Harman’s Equality Bill:

“Organisations will be empowered to take positive action to recruit more women or people from ethnic minorities by favouring them in job interviews over equally qualified white men”

Compare and contrast.